Sunday, April 24, 2011

Uncle Tom's Cabin By Harriet Beecher Stowe


My next book that I finished on my classic literature list is Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe.

I really enjoyed reading this book. I can see why it had such a profound affect on people as well as America during the time it was written. Stowe had such a strong opinion and beliefs and I think that was shown in this book.

I had bought the book at Border's when I was visiting Denver in August of 2010. I was reading it on and off for a few months. I'm surprised I still remembered what I had read in between moments of not reading. I finally finished it yesterday and I don't think I'll forget this story. Stowe must have been so courageous to write something like this during the times of the Civil War. She seemed so passionate about what she believed and didn't care what people thought. I don't know if all that's true but it would seems so with her writing.

The characters seemed so real, and most, if not all, were actually based on true people according to the final chapter entitled "Concluding Remarks." The way she wrote made me believe that I was back on the Kentucky plantations and among those people. I cried and go so emotional over the death of little Eva and the sudden departure of St. Clare. I couldn't help hating Legree and what he did to Tom.Tom's faith is a great example that should be followed by every Christian. I really enjoyed how she wrote it. She would write the story and go on side notes that would address the reader directly, then return to the story.

I even got inspired to do a story about Eva and Topsy, or maybe a screenplay about this book. There was a particular moment on page 298 with a great point of view. There could be a story just about Eva. She had such an impact on the characters in the story. I'm glad that I have this book apart of my book collection and would read it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment