Sunday, April 24, 2011

The Lord of the Flies By William Golding


As one of my goals for this year is to further my reading in classical literature, I figure I'll start off with The Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I got this book from the library so as of now it's not officially apart of my book collection. I finished the book on August 3, 2010. It actually was a pretty good read. I never did read it in high school. Since it was a while ago since I finished the book, I'll go off of my memory. It is a memorable read don't get me wrong but it is definitely very...um...different.

I did hear things about the book on how sad and violent it is. I've heard it referenced many times in TV shows ("Lost") as well as movies and didn't really understand them until now.

I did think a lot about "Lost" as I read it even comparing it in similar ways. It does make you wonder what would happen if boys were stranded on an island. What would happen if no grown ups were allowed? What would happen if there were no rules? I think it's interesting how the first group of boys to turn savage are the ones who were apparently from the church and grew up around religion. I'm not saying religion turns you into a savage but with out rules and structure there would be anarchy and chaos.

The ending intrigued me too and surprised me. I thought they all would end up dead or kill each other but they were saved. It's sad that it happen like it did but William Golding was definitely trying to make a point. As I don't agree with all the childish violence and the sad death of Piggy, I think it has merit for being a classic. I'm just glad I didn't read it in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment