Sunday, January 15, 2012

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck


I have gone back to my classics list. I read "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck over the holidays. Actually, since it was such a short read it was more of like one day. This book is particularly interesting as it was a book I had read in high school. Since I am LDS, this book had a lot of cursing in it and at that time I had a problem with it. I also look back at how I never did understand this book as well as I do now. I find it fascinating at how much you can get from a book depending on your age and maturity. It was such a short read I finished it pretty quickly. I was still astounded at the cursing in it but it's not like it had the F word in it. I've definitely seen worse on TV and in the movies. I can also read it with a more mature mindset.

I really rather enjoyed that it was so short. Even though the length was short (especially as I had only read one other John Steinbeck book and that was "Grapes of Wrath") it had a lot in it. The journey of 2 men working hard in the fields for someone else yet still dreaming of owning their own farms someday, and to make sure there are plenty of rabbits for Lenny. I find George's character particularly intriguing. He was a good friend to Lenny and his intentions were good. He is such a loyal friend for staying with Lenny and helping him out. Yet, in the end, he is the one that seals Lenny's inevitable fate. At least it was by the hand of his friend and not by an angry mob.

My heart goes out to Lenny. He was born in a time where his uniqueness was not understood and people were afraid of that. His physical strength gets ahead of him in his childlike manner, which causes him trouble. I can hardly imagine what it must've been like for people similar to Lenny to live in that era.

Steinbeck does such a great job with symbolism and foreshadow. He also brings to life the way life was back during the Great Depression. I'm always impressed with the dialogue and how you can put an accent with words. I understand a lot more now than when I read it in high school.

No comments:

Post a Comment